To our conservation colleagues
It is clear that we need to begin setting out the issues and our views on maintaining the statutory zoning of our foreshore openspace and the protection of existing parks.
Furthermore the disregard of planning by the Honeysuckle Development Corporation and their non compliance with their own Act - i.e. The Growth Centres (Development Corporations) Act 1974, the foolish mistakes made such as:
- the buying the longshore Wharf and then demolishing it.
- not carrying out Geo-technical work at the early stage,
- wrongful advertising for Merewether Wharf development before rezoning in place,
- tearing up Wharf Road,
- building out the Flinders Cove without re-planning for the change,
- building out the views to the harbour while claiming to be opening up the harbour,
- not building the planned overbridge at Stewart Ave,
- removing rail crossing overbridges and level crossing.
Not to mention the complete disregard of the Joy Cummings foreshore initiatives of the 1980's.
The talk about light rail is just talk and the real agenda is the to grab the public harbour front including the Newcastle Railway station. (The HDC aim is to get rid of rail commuters first!)
There is a lot of work to be done just to get the above information out to the general public over the next 2 years.
We all need to take the time to understand the concept of the Honeysuckle Masterplan and the earlier Joy Cummings Foreshore Design with its protection of the public domain.
We need to write every couple of months on one or more of the issues otherwise the truth will never be told.